As first-year ends for me (the schooling year ends in November for students in the Southern hemisphere), I have learned, listened and procrastinated. Moving from far from family and friends forced me into a deep end I have thoroughly enjoyed.
Here are a few things I do more consciously as women living far away from family:
- Pads, tampons and toilet paper are ridiculously expensive – stock up during sales.
- Take yourself out on a date, you deserve it.
- Do not be afraid to go to a doctor, the plight of women is usually overlooked sometimes that pain you feel is not normal.
- Go and get a breast exam, it makes you feel grown and ensures you are healthy.
- Switch your pillowcase twice a week, it can help with pimples and clogged pores.
- Find a buddy and cut each others hair, it is exciting, can go wrong, but it is also hair so it will grow back.
- Panty liners save your life when you are running out of underwear, I mean do I need to explain this?
- Save the police and university helpline numbers to your phone, be safe.
Hope this helps.